Ever since Shane and I visited Florida back in December where our 'breakfast' was eating Frosties from a disposable cup every morning with the occasional cinnamon roll, I've been craving Cinnamon Rolls. Real bad. In the UK (where I live anyway) we don't have cinnamon rolls, but cinnamon swirls which are made with puff pastry instead. I've always loved them, but they really are no match for a cinnamon roll. Since I had no luck finding any, I just had to make some instead - though every recipe was in US measurements, I gave it a go anyway (I was going to try convert the recipe to grams, but I found out that 1 cup of flour is much less than 250g which is what it says on my cup measures so by then it was too confusing and innaccurate haha). They turned out ok and everyone has been devouring them over the weekend! Let me know if you try them or have made your own for any tips/other recipes to try.
2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 packet (7g) dried yeast
4 cups flour + 1/2 extra cup
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 cup butter, softened (not melted)
1/3 cup cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1. Add the milk, vegetable oil and sugar to a large pan and warm through till almost boiled, then leave to cool for approx 45 minutes so it's lukewarm. (after doing this I decided that it would be much simpler to just heat through 1 cup of milk with the other ingredients, then add the other cup after to cool faster).
2. Add the yeast to the warm milk mix and leave for a minute or so, then add the 4 cups of flour and mix well. Leave to rise for an hour.
3. Add the extra 1/2 cup flour to pan with the baking powder, bicarb of soda and salt and stir well to mix. Leave to sit while you make the filling.
4. Mix the cinnamon and sugar with the softened butter to a smoothe paste.
5. Divide the roll mixture in half and roll out to make a large rectangle about 1/2-1cm thick. Spread over the cinnamon mixture right to the edges carefully so not to tear the dough. Then starting from the far side roll the dough towards you tightly.
6. Slice the roll into pieces about 1 inch thick (I used dental floss to slice it as I found a knife sticks to the dough and squashes the roll. Put a strip of floss under the roll, pull up on both sides and cross over to slice - it's so much easier!)
7. Place the cinnamon rolls in some ovenproof dishes (I found the mix used up 2 dishes making about 24 medium/small sized rolls). Leave to rise for another 30 mins or so then bake in a preheated oven at 190C/375F for around 15 minutes or until the middles start to rise up.
8. Mix some icing sugar with a splash of vanilla extract and water to a smooth paste, then drizzle over the rolls and let to cool. Enjoy! :)